Thursday, December 13, 2012

IMPORTANT! Movies Are Different in Australia

This is a courtesy for those who don't want to be blind-sided by change. 


 John and I were channel surfing the other day and saw that a classic was on, Airplane! We settled right in and decided to watch it. Only, something was odd. The TV guide seemed to want to tell us we were watching a movie called Flying High. We didn't pay much attention to it, sometimes the guide is wrong. It wasn't until a commercial break that we got worried. One of the channel advertisements said something about how Flying High would be right back. No way folks!


For the record, Flying High is a terrible title for this movie. It is and always will be Airplane. Flying High doesn't even fit on the cover design.



Another disappointment came when I sat down for the time-honored tradition of watching The Muppet Christmas Carol. John gave me the DVD as an early Christmas present. It was wonderful. One thing was wrong though, one of the songs was cut out of the movie. You know the annoying one. The one we all fast-forwarded through. Let me refresh your memory:
I'm not sure if I want to thank Australians for this one or be mad, because it's not exactly the same as it was when I was a kid.


The final and most damaging movie moment was last night. My roommate let me take some movies off of his hard drive. The Lion King was one of those movies, cool roommate points for him. So, I put it on while I was falling asleep. Then this happened:
'The Morning Report'! Really, that was a bad idea. Now I know this particular addition isn't Australians fault. The song was performed in the live version and included in the 2002 IMAX production. Either which way, the moral of the story is that classics shouldn't be messed with. These movies are full of flaws (I know this now), but they evoke a child-like nostalgia for a time when things weren't so complicated. I suppose I can adjust. I just hope this helps you get through similar traumatic experiences. I'm here for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment